June 22, 2009

Pinot Noir & Patagonia

What is it with Pinot Noir? It's the most overrated and most overpriced grape on the market, but every once in a while one is actually pretty tasty. I'd yet to find an enjoyable Pinot for under $20 until tonight, and it came from an unlikely source. While shopping at the discount grocery store I noticed a Pinot from Patagonia and one from Mendoza for $7 and $12 respectively. I bought both and opened them up with some mango and chocolate.

2007 Bodega del Fin del Mundo Pinot Noir Reserva Patagonia -$7: kind of a funky yet slightly offputting nose of cranberries and something weird (I know what it is but I hate to regergitate it). Tastes like a pinot, smells like one, nothing special. 83 points.

2005 Miraflor Pinot Noir Mendoza -$12: Smells very oaky but not really in a bad way. Nothing off putting at all about it; pretty solid but not all that exiting. Good value for a Pinot these days (thanks, Sideways!). 88 points.

I know the latter of these two wines and potentially both of them were "made" by consulting wine maker Michel Rolland. Interesting considering I associate him with Cabernet and Merlot, although plenty of that is made by del Fin del Mundo too. I plan on trying those for $7 as well. The Patagonia region is brand new and from what I know about it I'm very interested in what will happen there in the next decade. I'm glad the local discount grocery store carries a few.

No comments: